Video: ❶ Methods For Pain Relief In Labor
All couples perceive the news of the addition to the family differently. Some begin to jump with joy, others freeze with happiness, in anticipation of meeting their little sequel. And if a man needs some time to get used to this thought, a woman from the first moment feels a connection with the child, mentally talks to him and feels him at first timid, and then more and more persistent pushes and movements. Waiting for a baby is a joyful time and only one thing worries a woman: the upcoming birth and the pain associated with it. In this article, the women's site JustLady will talk about the nature of labor pain and modern methods of pain relief during labor. Location: Location:
From the very first day of pregnancy, a woman must form within herself the correct attitude towards childbirth. Labor pain relief begins with confidence in yourself and that everything will be fine. Calmness is the main helper of a woman in labor. Pain during childbirth is very individual and depends on many reasons: on the position of the fetus, its size, the strength of uterine contractions, on the state of the woman in labor. If you tune in to the unbearable pain in advance, you will definitely wait for it. A woman should have a good idea of what stages the childbirth consists of, when pain arises, how to breathe correctly and be tuned in to a successful result. Then childbirth will be perceived not as a painful process, but as the threshold of a miracle, as a result of which a meeting with the most dear creature in the world will take place.
Today in medical practice there are several methods of pain relief during labor. Modern methods of anesthesia and drug pain relief are safe enough for the mother and child and help to make the baby's birth process more comfortable. The methods of labor pain relief should be prescribed by the doctor in each case individually, depending on the pain threshold of the woman and her general condition.
Pain during labor is of two types. The first is felt during labor and is associated with stretching of the cervix. The pain is dull, it can radiate to the lower back and sacrum. The second occurs immediately before the birth of the child and is a consequence of the stretching of the tissues of the birth canal during the advancement of the fetus. This pain is localized in the vagina and perineum. Let's dwell on the main methods of labor pain relief, their advantages and disadvantages.
1. Analgesia - carried out with the help of intravenous or intramuscular administration of pain relievers that relieve spasms, pain and soothe the nervous system. To date, promedol is used for these purposes, which is as harmless to the fetus as possible. However, it must be borne in mind that the action of analgesics is limited to a few hours, they cannot be re-administered.
2. Epidural anesthesia- An anesthetic drug is injected by an experienced anesthesiologist through a thin needle into the space next to the spinal cord. This method of labor pain relief allows, while maintaining consciousness, to completely block the painful sensations of the entire lower half of the body. The disadvantages of this pain relief is that the woman, along with the painful sensations, loses the ability to control her body and cannot push.
3. Electroneurostimulation - with this method of labor pain relief, electrodes are attached to the woman's lower back, through which the nerve endings are electrically stimulated. This technique provides partial relief and is used in the first stage of labor. The advantage of the method is the absence of side effects.
4. General anesthesia- it is used only in emergency cases under the supervision of an anesthesiologist, assumes complete anesthesia and sleep in the woman in labor. It can be used for prolonged labor, for muscle relaxation and patient relaxation.
5. Local anesthesia - not effective for complete anesthesia, it is applied locally, when suturing the perineum or in other cases requiring local tissue numbness.
6. Inhalation anesthesia - anesthesia that occurs by inhaling a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen. It has not only analgesic, but also antispasmodic effect. Pros - has no side effects, the patient quickly recovers from anesthesia. Cons - the pain does not completely relieve.
Many specialists oppose all methods of labor pain relief, as they can cause adverse reactions and disrupt the natural course of labor. Therefore, if your pregnancy does not deviate from the norm and the development of the fetus goes without complications, do not rush to resort to analgesics and anesthesia. Nature took care of women: during contractions, the body begins to intensively produce endorphins - hormones of happiness. They tone up and have a natural analgesic effect. Only a woman should have the correct psychological attitude and understand that pain during labor is periodic and will definitely pass.
Proper breathing during labor can also be considered a method of pain relief during labor. The correct type of breathing activates labor, saturates the blood with oxygen, helping the baby breathe.
• At the very beginning of the contraction, take a deep breath through your nose, then exhale all the air completely through your mouth.
• In the first stage of labor, when you cannot push, breathe like this: one full inhalation-exhalation, several short inhalation-exhalation, ending with a full long exhalation through the lips folded into a tube.
Childbirth is not a test, it is an opportunity to bring a little man into the world, who by his birth will overshadow all the pains and unpleasant sensations you have experienced.
Women's magazine JustLady